General ledger (that is one of the accounting reports) arranges accounting entries by bookkeeping accounts. General ledger can be modified to meet different kinds of needs with the report’s search criteria.
General ledger is found in Reports > Accounting reports (or alternatively in Accounting > Accounting reports) when General ledger is chosen from Accounting report type drop-down menu.
More information about the buttons and functions (that are common with all report types) in the upper section of the view can be found here.
- Accounting report type drop-down menu is used to choose General ledger.
- Receipt date fields are used to determine the time period of the general ledger.
- Presentation options section includes selections:
- Show invoice date column on the report: this selection includes also invoice date to the report (along with accounting date).
- Show opening balances for tracking period: this selection adds a column to the report that has the opening balances of tracking periods.
- Hide creator in exports
- Hide company ID in exports
- Hide search options in exports
- Receipt status drop-down menu determines the statuses of invoices that are included in the report.
- Sorting order drop-down menu has two options: Ledger account-date-receipt number (that is selected by default) and Ledger account-receipt number.
More Options menu is used to choose new search criteria to the report if needed. The following search criteria is available with general ledger:
- Receipt type
- This search criterion defines the receipt type(s) to be included in the general ledger.
- Receipt currency
- This search criterion determines only receipts in a specific currency to be included in the report.
- Receipt Name
- This criterion narrows the search only to receipts that are named with the content given in the Name field. The search can be done with the entire name or only with a part of it.
- Customer's Company ID
- This search criterion limits the search with specific Business ID. The ID can be entered as a whole or just partially. It doesn’t matter whether or not the ID includes a country code and a hyphen.
- Entry period (yyyy-mm)
- This search criterion is used to limit general ledger’s scope by the entry period (that is a month). If both receipt date and entry period have been given, general ledger will be formed by the shortest combination: for example, if Receipt date search criterion has a period of 01.10.2019 – 30.11.2019 and Entry period search criterion has a period of 2019-11 – 2019-12, the general ledger’s time period will be 01.11.2019 – 30.11.2019.
- Transaction value
- This search criterion is used to limit the search by accounting entry values. The function does the search from Accounting value column of the general ledger. Also < and > symbols can be used to limit the results.
- This search criterion can be used to search only debit or credit entries to the general ledger.
- Debit entries are searched by entering >-0 to the field.
- Credit entries are searched by entering <-0 to the field.
- Ledger accounts
- This search criterion is used to set desired accounts to be included in the report. The accounts are chosen in the Ledger accounts field (choosing multiple accounts is done, for example, by holding down Ctrl button when selecting accounts). Because there are a lot of accounts, they can also be chosen in a separate window that is opened by clicking the magnifying glass button.
- Ledger account numbers
- This search criterion can be used to only include entries, for example, from just one specific bookkeeping account. If multiple accounts are chosen, it is done by using a comma as a separator between account numbers (e.g. 1700, 1800, 1910).
- Receipt numbers
- This search criterion can be used to limit the search results by specific receipt numbers. Including more than one receipt number is done by separating the numbers with commas (e.g. 100, 101, 102).
- Transaction description
- This search criterion limits the search with specific transaction description. The search is made from the Transaction description fields of receipts.
- Balance sheet items in transactions
- Transactions for accounts with recommendation
- Transactions with balance sheet items
- Transactions without recommended items
- With this search criterion, only entries with specific dimension’s item(s) are brought to the general ledger.
- By adding this search criterion, a new menu of Dimensions appears with Items field under it.
- The dimension to be included in the report is chosen in Dimensions Only one dimension can be chosen for one report; choosing multiple dimensions is therefore not possible.
- Items lists all the items that are created under the dimension that is chosen in Dimensions One or more items can be chosen. Choosing multiple items is done, for example, by holding down Ctrl button when selecting items. If there are a lot of items, they can also be selected in a separate window that is opened by clicking the magnifying glass button.
- If multiple items have been chosen, there is no column that specifies the item of a dimension in a general ledger’s row. If item-specific information on general ledger is needed, the general ledger has to be created with choosing only one item at a time.
- Receipt type
Buttons in the search results
- Invoice button is used to go to the Invoice view of the active row. If the row in question is a journal receipt or other receipt that does not have the Invoice view, the button leads to the Accounting view of the receipt.
- Accounting button leads to the Accounting view of the active row’s receipt. It is also possible to go straight to the row’s Accounting view by clicking the text in the row’s Name column.
- Attachments button opens a separate window that shows possible attachments of the active row’s receipt.
- Excel, HTML and PDF buttons are used to examine the report in different kinds of file formats.
- VAT information button opens a separate window that combines the VAT information about the accounting entries of the general ledger in question.
- Amounts button opens a separate window that shows a summary of the amounts of different receipt types and their transactions.